Frequently asked questions

What should I do if I’m arrested?

If you are arrested in California, any statement you make to the police will be used as evidence against you. Do not make a statement of any kind to law enforcement. Ask to speak with an attorney immediately. Do not give up your right to remain silent without a thorough consultation with an experienced criminal defense lawyer.

Do I need an attorney if I am arrested?
If arrested, you should absolutely consult with an attorney as to your legal rights and the case that may be pending against you. Both misdemeanors and felonies have the potential for jail time, probation or both.
When should I hire a criminal defense attorney?
The sooner, the better. Once you have a lawyer in your corner, the preparation and investigation of your case can begin. In many cases, a criminal defense attorney can even influence the charges before they are filed by ensuring that a case that might be a felony is filed as a misdemeanor, for example. In every criminal case time is of the essence.
What happens at the first court date? What is an arraignment?

The first court appearance, or arraignment, is when a defendant is advised of the charges against him or her. At this point you can enter in a “Not Guilty” plea and the case begins.

How do you address issues of drug and alcohol addiction in your practice?
Many of Alison F. Triessl’s clients are also battling addiction to drugs and alcohol, and Alison works closely with these clients to help them achieve sobriety as well as great legal results. There are numerous drug rehabilitation programs in Southern California and in some cases, defendants may be eligible to go to rehab in lieu of jail. Diversion programs like Proposition 36 and Deferred Entry of Judgment are also available as an alternative to jail for defendants accused of drug-related crimes. Alison knows that a sober client will not be arrested again, and she is dedicated to helping clients achieve their sobriety goals.
Can the Law Office of Alison F. Triessl get my charges reduced or dropped altogether?
The Law Office of Alison Triessl cannot guarantee a particular outcome in a particular case. In some cases, we may be able to negotiate with the prosecuting attorney or with the court to have your charges reduced or dismissed. There may be legal issues that can result in a full or partial dismissal of charges, which Alison will identify and litigate to the fullest extent. Our ability to have your charges reduced or dismissed depends largely on the individual circumstances of your case, the crime alleged and your prior criminal history.


Here is what to do if your are contacted by law enforcement:

  • In public: “I would like to go about my business. If I am free to leave, I request to do so.”

  • If you are told that you have the right to an attorney before questioning: “I do not wish to appear uncooperative but I refuse to answer any questions without my attorney present. My law firm is the Law Office of Alison Triessl at (818) 990-2033.”

  • If you are asked for consent to search: “I do not consent to any searches of my person, property or vehicle.”

  • If you are asked for entrance into your home: “You do not have permission to come into my home.”

  • If you are over 21 and are stopped on suspicion of driving under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs: “I will not take any field sobriety tests and I will not take the PAS test (the preliminary alcohol screening test).”

  • If you are under 21 and are stopped on suspicion of driving under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs: “I will not take any field sobriety tests.” You are not permitted to refuse the PAS test.

  • If you arrested for DUI: The officer must give you the option to take either a breath or blood test. A urine test may be among the test choices if the officer suspects that you are under the influence of a controlled substance. You must submit to one of these tests: you do not have the right to an attorney when making this choice or at any time before or during the test

In Touch